About Me

My photo
My name is Elisha, and I am 24. I am a SAHM to 5 year old Mr. Elijah Thomas and his sister RaeLynne that was born on November 14, 2008. I am happily married to Casey, since April 6, 2008. Elijah is a great kid and he has not only been diagnosed with Down Syndrome prenatally, but he also is deaf, and has a heart defect that required surgical repair at 5 months of age. He is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me, and I love watching him grow!! He is the most AWESOME brother---the best there is!!

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Cochlear Implant Information

Ugh. Where do I start on this?? I'm sure you know, Elijah is deaf. We found out at just over a year old. So, we did the 6 months of hearing aids, to no avail. So now, he is a Cochlear Implant candidate. It took a long long time to convince his dad that that was the best thing for him. Finally, he called the social worker, and gave his consent! So his surgery is scheduled for August 22, 2008. I am so so so nervous. But Dr. Kang, his surgeon...is a wonderful dr. He is the best of the best. We are SOOO lucky to get him for the surgery. He even scheduled it for a Friday (even though he isn't in the OR on Friday) so that Eli could come home with me, instead of going home with Jon right after the operation. I am MUCH more comfortable that way. I am still scared $h!tless...but I think he'll be ok. We are doing the right ear, and hopefully he'll be able to gain some speech. I will definately be keeping this updated with the progress...

No comments: